Posts for tag: Dentures
Dentures help you maintain your appearance and your ability to eat your favorite foods. The type of dentures you choose will depend on the degree of tooth loss you've suffered and your personal preferences. Assisting patients in finding the best dentures is just one of the services offered by Eau Claire, WI, dentist, Dr. Christopher Poss.
Which dentures are right for you?
Wearing dentures offers many important benefits. Restoring your smile can help boost your self-esteem and make it easier to eat and speak. Dentures also support the muscles of your lower face, helping you avoid the sunken facial appearance that can occur after tooth loss. Your Eau Claire dentist may recommend one or more of these types of dentures if you've lost teeth:
- Full Dentures: When most people think about dentures, they picture removable full dentures. The dentures consist of a row of artificial teeth attached to a pink base designed to look like gum tissue. The dentures are custom-made to fit the ridges in your mouth, which helps ensure a comfortable fit. Removable full dentures are used after your mouth heals completely from tooth extractions.
- Immediate Dentures: There's no waiting period when you choose immediate dentures. Before your teeth are extracted, impressions of your mouth will be made to create your dentures. You'll begin wearing the dentures immediately after the extractions. Immediate dentures can speed the denture adjustment process, reduce bleeding and help you avoid a toothless period while your mouth heals. Your dentures will need to be adjusted and relined as your mouth heals. Although you can continue to use your immediate dentures indefinitely, full dentures may fit better and last longer.
- Partial Dentures: Partial dentures are designed to fill gaps in your smile that occur if you've only lost some of your teeth. You can remove the dentures for cleaning by unhooking them from the teeth that support them.
- Implant-Supported Dentures: Implant-supported dentures feel more like real teeth because they're attached to dental implants. Implants are synthetic replacement roots that bond to your jawbone. It may be possible to support an upper or lower denture with as few as four dental implants.
- Overdentures: If you have remnants of a few teeth remaining, and the roots are in good condition, overdentures can be a good option. The roots keep your jawbone strong and can be used to anchor implant-supported overdentures.
Do you need a little help choosing dentures? Call our Eau Claire, WI, dentist, Dr. Poss, at (715) 833-2223 to schedule an appointment.
Dentures are dental devices, mostly made of plastic resin, that are specially made to restore the appearance of your smile. They are most commonly created for senior citizens who have lost teeth due to aging, but they can also be designed for younger patients who have lost teeth due to gum disease, tooth decay and other dental issues. Learn more about the various types of dentures that are available at Dr. Chris Poss’ Eau Claire, WI, dental office.
Full (Complete or Conventional) Dentures
Senior citizens often need full or conventional dentures. They’re made to cover the entire gumline (one device on top and one on the bottom) when all of the teeth are missing or have been extracted. They stay in place over the gums through a suction action and denture adhesive. They may have to be adjusted a few times to ensure a proper fit.
When you only have a few missing teeth (or just one) a partial denture can be designed by your Eau Claire dentist. It is supported by the remaining teeth you have in your mouth. They are commonly made with a metal support that keeps it anchored over the gumline where there are spaces in your smile. One additional benefit of wearing partial dentures is that they keep your other teeth from moving around.
With the growth in popularity of dental implants, many patients are now inquiring about implant-supported overdentures. Instead of getting individual implants, which can be time-consuming and more expensive, two to four implants are installed to be anchored to a full denture. Many patients like the security, comfort and convenience of implant-supported dentures.
Find Out Which Denture Device Is Right for You
There's no need to continue to eat and smile awkwardly with missing teeth—talk to your dentist about these various denture devices to find out what will be best for you. Call Dr. Poss in Eau Claire, WI, today at (715) 833-2223 to schedule a consultation appointment.