Posts for tag: Dentures
Tooth loss can affect you at any time in your adult life. It could be caused by an injury, tooth decay, an infection, or aging. Dentures are an effective and affordable option for tooth decay. Dr. Christopher Poss is a dentist in Eau Claire, WI. He has the following types of dentures available.
Modern Dentures 101
Because of advantages in dental technology, these days, dentures have a much more natural appearance and a more comfortable feel. Whether you are missing a few teeth or all of them, there is a type of denture to suit your needs. Not only can dentures help to fully restore the function of your natural teeth, such as biting and chewing, but they also restore the natural structure of your face.
Types of Dentures
Dental patients can choose from the following types of dentures:
- Immediate dentures: As their name suggests, immediate dentures can be fitted straight away if you have missing teeth or immediately after your teeth have been extracted. This enables you to begin eating and speaking as normal without having to wait.
- Conventional dentures: This is a type of removable denture that is usually fitted after your teeth have been removed and your gums have had a chance to heal, which can take up to several months.
- Transitional partial dentures: Transitional dentures are made from acrylic. They are designed to help you transition from partial dentures to a full set of dentures. As more teeth are removed, prosthetic teeth can be added to the denture plate.
- Removable partial dentures: This type of denture consists of one or several prosthetic teeth attached to a plastic dental plate or to a bridge that can be attached to your existing teeth.
- Implant-supported overdentures: This is a cutting-edge way to replace missing teeth and is an alternative to removable dentures. The procedure uses titanium implants in your jawbone to secure a prosthetic bridge. Because the dentures are secure and permanent, you have no need to worry about your teeth slipping or rubbing on your gums. You can also clean your teeth by regular brushing and flossing, just as you would your natural teeth.
If you are an Eu Claire, WI resident and you would like to find out more about dentures, call Dr. Poss today at (715) 833-2223 to schedule an appointment.
If you have been considering denture treatment, then you need to see Dr. Christopher Poss, your dentist in Eau Claire, WI. He knows the intricacies of tooth replacement and can fit you with an appliance that is perfect for your situation. Read about your options here.
Tooth loss hurts
When you undergo tooth loss, not only does your smile lose some of its beauty, but your oral function, tooth alignment, bone density, and speech are all negatively affected as well. The American College of Prosthodontists says that around 120 million people in the United States are currently grappling with tooth loss—are you one of them?
The denture treatment plan
Dentures can replace one, two, or even a full arch of teeth on the top or bottom of the mouth. Today's dentures also offer exceptional fit and bite, with your Eau Claire dentist ensuring that each appliance is precisely crafted with high-quality materials such as porcelain, resin, and metals.
To craft either a full or partial denture, Dr. Poss will examine your remaining teeth and soft oral tissues, as well as perform an X-ray screening to reveal your bone structure. Afterward, he will take oral impressions and send them to dental lab where your dentures will be created.
Once the dentures return to the Eau Claire office, your dentist will take his time fitting your appliance so that you experience no sore spots (stomatitis) or difficulties in biting and chewing.
Types of dentures
Modern dentistry offers patients a wide range of denture options, including:
- Partial dentures, which replace one or more missing teeth on the upper or lower arch. They are held in place with metal clasps.
- Immediate full dentures, which replace a full arch of teeth immediately after extraction. The pressure exerted by these appliances helps speed healing and allows the patient to go home with a complete smile. These dentures must be relined at a later date for proper fit.
- Full conventional dentures, which replace a full arch of teeth after hard and soft tissues heal. These appliances stay in place with suction and occasional application of denture adhesive.
- Implant overdentures, which rest on titanium screws inserted into the jaw. Two implants anchor a bottom denture, and four-to-six support a top denture. Only your dentist can remove these stable, bone-building prosthetics.
Get your smile back
Arrange your denture consultation with Dr. Christopher Poss, today! Call the office at (715) 833-2223. We are open Monday through Thursday from 8 am to 5 pm.
The dental team at Dr. Christopher Poss’ office in Eau Claire, WI, can create a specialty dental device to correct just about any smile defect—even if you’re missing an entire row of teeth. If you’re unhappy with your smile because of one or multiple missing teeth, learn what dentures can do for your oral health, appearance, and self-confidence.
Types of Dentures
The two main classes of dentures are partials and conventional devices. A conventional denture is one that your dentist fits over the gumline and stays attached with suction and bonding agents. A partial is a smaller device that is designed to replace one or a few teeth that are missing from the smile. Thanks to advances in modern dentistry, a third type of denture is now becoming more popular: implant-supported. Specialty dentures can be anchored to your gumline using permanently affixed dental implants.
What Dentures Do
Dentures help restore confidence in patients who have had to live a long time with missing teeth. A study by the American Association of Orthodontists found that over a third of Americans are unhappy and self-conscious about the way their smiles look. Many think that they’d have a better social life with a better-looking smile. Restoring a sense of assurance about their teeth with partial or full dentures can have a significant positive impact. Another benefit of dentures is that they restore your ability to bite and chew tough, solid foods.
Getting Fitted for Dentures
There’s no need for any anxiety when you go in for an appointment for a denture fitting. Your Eau Claire, WI, dentist will examine your current smile and make any suggestions or adjustments as needed. When ready, your dentist can then take an accurate impression to have a properly sized denture designed. You will return to the office for fittings and adjustments until your dentures fit just right.
Ask Your Dentist About Dentures
It doesn’t matter how long you have had to live with missing teeth, your dentist can successfully fit your smile with new partial or complete dentures. Contact the office of Dr. Christopher Poss in Eau Claire, WI, by calling (715) 833-2223 today.
Dentures help you maintain your appearance and your ability to eat your favorite foods. The type of dentures you choose will depend on the degree of tooth loss you've suffered and your personal preferences. Assisting patients in finding the best dentures is just one of the services offered by Eau Claire, WI, dentist, Dr. Christopher Poss.
Which dentures are right for you?
Wearing dentures offers many important benefits. Restoring your smile can help boost your self-esteem and make it easier to eat and speak. Dentures also support the muscles of your lower face, helping you avoid the sunken facial appearance that can occur after tooth loss. Your Eau Claire dentist may recommend one or more of these types of dentures if you've lost teeth:
- Full Dentures: When most people think about dentures, they picture removable full dentures. The dentures consist of a row of artificial teeth attached to a pink base designed to look like gum tissue. The dentures are custom-made to fit the ridges in your mouth, which helps ensure a comfortable fit. Removable full dentures are used after your mouth heals completely from tooth extractions.
- Immediate Dentures: There's no waiting period when you choose immediate dentures. Before your teeth are extracted, impressions of your mouth will be made to create your dentures. You'll begin wearing the dentures immediately after the extractions. Immediate dentures can speed the denture adjustment process, reduce bleeding and help you avoid a toothless period while your mouth heals. Your dentures will need to be adjusted and relined as your mouth heals. Although you can continue to use your immediate dentures indefinitely, full dentures may fit better and last longer.
- Partial Dentures: Partial dentures are designed to fill gaps in your smile that occur if you've only lost some of your teeth. You can remove the dentures for cleaning by unhooking them from the teeth that support them.
- Implant-Supported Dentures: Implant-supported dentures feel more like real teeth because they're attached to dental implants. Implants are synthetic replacement roots that bond to your jawbone. It may be possible to support an upper or lower denture with as few as four dental implants.
- Overdentures: If you have remnants of a few teeth remaining, and the roots are in good condition, overdentures can be a good option. The roots keep your jawbone strong and can be used to anchor implant-supported overdentures.
Do you need a little help choosing dentures? Call our Eau Claire, WI, dentist, Dr. Poss, at (715) 833-2223 to schedule an appointment.
Dentures are dental devices, mostly made of plastic resin, that are specially made to restore the appearance of your smile. They are most commonly created for senior citizens who have lost teeth due to aging, but they can also be designed for younger patients who have lost teeth due to gum disease, tooth decay and other dental issues. Learn more about the various types of dentures that are available at Dr. Chris Poss’ Eau Claire, WI, dental office.
Full (Complete or Conventional) Dentures
Senior citizens often need full or conventional dentures. They’re made to cover the entire gumline (one device on top and one on the bottom) when all of the teeth are missing or have been extracted. They stay in place over the gums through a suction action and denture adhesive. They may have to be adjusted a few times to ensure a proper fit.
When you only have a few missing teeth (or just one) a partial denture can be designed by your Eau Claire dentist. It is supported by the remaining teeth you have in your mouth. They are commonly made with a metal support that keeps it anchored over the gumline where there are spaces in your smile. One additional benefit of wearing partial dentures is that they keep your other teeth from moving around.
With the growth in popularity of dental implants, many patients are now inquiring about implant-supported overdentures. Instead of getting individual implants, which can be time-consuming and more expensive, two to four implants are installed to be anchored to a full denture. Many patients like the security, comfort and convenience of implant-supported dentures.
Find Out Which Denture Device Is Right for You
There's no need to continue to eat and smile awkwardly with missing teeth—talk to your dentist about these various denture devices to find out what will be best for you. Call Dr. Poss in Eau Claire, WI, today at (715) 833-2223 to schedule a consultation appointment.