Tooth loss can affect you at any time in your adult life. It could be caused by an injury, tooth decay, an infection, or aging. Dentures are an effective and affordable option for tooth decay. Dr. Christopher Poss is a dentist in Eau Claire, WI. He has the following types of dentures available.
Modern Dentures 101
Because of advantages in dental technology, these days, dentures have a much more natural appearance and a more comfortable feel. Whether you are missing a few teeth or all of them, there is a type of denture to suit your needs. Not only can dentures help to fully restore the function of your natural teeth, such as biting and chewing, but they also restore the natural structure of your face.
Types of Dentures
Dental patients can choose from the following types of dentures:
- Immediate dentures: As their name suggests, immediate dentures can be fitted straight away if you have missing teeth or immediately after your teeth have been extracted. This enables you to begin eating and speaking as normal without having to wait.
- Conventional dentures: This is a type of removable denture that is usually fitted after your teeth have been removed and your gums have had a chance to heal, which can take up to several months.
- Transitional partial dentures: Transitional dentures are made from acrylic. They are designed to help you transition from partial dentures to a full set of dentures. As more teeth are removed, prosthetic teeth can be added to the denture plate.
- Removable partial dentures: This type of denture consists of one or several prosthetic teeth attached to a plastic dental plate or to a bridge that can be attached to your existing teeth.
- Implant-supported overdentures: This is a cutting-edge way to replace missing teeth and is an alternative to removable dentures. The procedure uses titanium implants in your jawbone to secure a prosthetic bridge. Because the dentures are secure and permanent, you have no need to worry about your teeth slipping or rubbing on your gums. You can also clean your teeth by regular brushing and flossing, just as you would your natural teeth.
If you are an Eu Claire, WI resident and you would like to find out more about dentures, call Dr. Poss today at (715) 833-2223 to schedule an appointment.