We are not a spa, we are a dental office. We do not want to be a spa.We specialize in patient comfort and the delivery of the best possible dental care we can provide.
Dr Poss and his staff regularly attend continuing education courses to stay up to date on cutting edge dentistry.Our hygienist is an expert in gum tissue care and has been using the latest LBA (Laser Bacterial Reduction) for several years with fantastic results.
Our focus is on quality care for your teeth and gums, helping you to keep your teeth for a lifetime!
Dentures help you maintain your appearance and your ability to eat your favorite foods. The type of dentures you choose will depend on the degree of tooth loss you've suffered and your personal preferences. Assisting patients in finding the best dentures is just one of the services offered by Eau Claire, WI, dentist, Dr. Christopher Poss.
Which dentures are right for you?
Wearing dentures offers many important benefits. Restoring your smile can help boost your self-esteem and make it easier to eat and speak. Dentures also support the muscles of your lower face, helping you avoid the sunken facial appearance that can occur after tooth loss. Your Eau Claire dentist may recommend one or more of these types of dentures if you've lost teeth:
- Full Dentures: When most people think about dentures, they picture removable full dentures. The dentures consist of a row of artificial teeth attached to a pink base designed to look like gum tissue. The dentures are custom-made to fit the ridges in your mouth, which helps ensure a comfortable fit. Removable full dentures are used after your mouth heals completely from tooth extractions.
- Immediate Dentures: There's no waiting period when you choose immediate dentures. Before your teeth are extracted, impressions of your mouth will be made to create your dentures. You'll begin wearing the dentures immediately after the extractions. Immediate dentures can speed the denture adjustment process, reduce bleeding and help you avoid a toothless period while your mouth heals. Your dentures will need to be adjusted and relined as your mouth heals. Although you can continue to use your immediate dentures indefinitely, full dentures may fit better and last longer.
- Partial Dentures: Partial dentures are designed to fill gaps in your smile that occur if you've only lost some of your teeth. You can remove the dentures for cleaning by unhooking them from the teeth that support them.
- Implant-Supported Dentures: Implant-supported dentures feel more like real teeth because they're attached to dental implants. Implants are synthetic replacement roots that bond to your jawbone. It may be possible to support an upper or lower denture with as few as four dental implants.
- Overdentures: If you have remnants of a few teeth remaining, and the roots are in good condition, overdentures can be a good option. The roots keep your jawbone strong and can be used to anchor implant-supported overdentures.
Do you need a little help choosing dentures? Call our Eau Claire, WI, dentist, Dr. Poss, at (715) 833-2223 to schedule an appointment.
Are your oral hygiene habits sufficient to keep your teeth and gums healthy? Your Eau Claire, WI dentist, Dr. Christopher Poss, wants your at-home practices and your in-office care to work together to give you an excellent smile for the rest of your life. Learn the details of excellent hygiene here.
Brush and floss
Your toothbrush is one of your best friends. Used twice daily with a quality fluoride toothpaste, its soft bristles remove food residues, or plaque, and prevent the formation of calculus. Also called tartar, this hard substance degrades gum tissue and can lead to tooth decay.
Along with your brush, keep your floss handy. The American Dental Association advises you use it once daily to capture and remove the sticky plaque brushing can miss. Whether you choose plain or flavored floss, or a flossing tool such as a Y-flosser, interdental pick or water flosser, this simple process benefits gum tissue and those hard to reach interdental spaces.
A tooth-friendly diet supports strong tooth enamel and vibrant gum tissue. What is a tooth-friendly diet? Well, it's low in processed sugars and carbs and high in:
- High-calcium dairy
- Low-fat meats, fish, and poultry
- Water (drink several glasses daily to increase beneficial saliva and avoid dry mouth)
Yes, what you put in your mouth definitely changes its acid content. Additionally, avoid tobacco in all forms. It stains tooth enamel and harms gum tissue and bone. Of course, oral cancer risk increases with both cigarettes and smokeless tobacco.
Your semi-annual check-up
It provides both you and Dr. Poss an accurate picture of your oral health. He performs several key oral health assessments, including:
- Checking for tooth decay and gum disease
- An oral cancer assessment (it takes just a couple of minutes)
- Checking the condition of fillings, veneers, crowns, and tooth replacements such as implants
- Looking at the dental bite
- Assessing jaw joint function
With your professional cleaning, your hygienist will scale your teeth and gum line, count your teeth, perform X-rays as required and polish all tooth surfaces with a rotary brush. Also, she'll recommend ways to improve your at-home routine. This is your opportunity to ask about your brush, floss and other hygiene tools you may use, says the Academy of General Dentistry.
Your dentist in Eau Claire encourages his patients to ask questions and fully participate in their care plans. After all, they're your teeth and gums!
Your best habits
Everyone can improve their oral health care. Start today with your best brushing and flossing, and call Dr. Poss to schedule your semi-annual visit in Eau Claire, WI. We look forward to seeing you! Phone (715) 833-2223.
Have you been considering a dental implant to replace a missing tooth? These restorations are proudly offered by Dr. Christopher Poss, your dentist in Eau Claire, WI. Dental implants are considered to be the most comfortable, long-lasting, and attractive tooth replacements available today. After reading this post, we're sure you'll understand why!
Dental restorations like dentures and bridges look nice and function well, but they have an expiration date. All these implements will eventually need to be repaired or replaced; this can be anywhere from 5 to 15 years. Dental implants from your dentist in Eau Claire, however, are made to last many decades, even a lifetime with proper care. That’s because these amazing restorations recreate the entire structure of a tooth, which helps the jawbone from receding and the rest of the teeth from shifting out of place.
Ease of care
You probably know that dentures, whether full or partial, require frequent removal for cleaning and adjustment. Dental implants provide the wearer with unprecedented ease of care. They can be brushed and flossed just like your natural teeth; although the porcelain crowns and titanium posts cannot decay, it's important to keep the gum tissue that surrounds your implant healthy. Regular checkups with your Eau Claire dentist will also make sure your dental implants are maintained properly.
Great strides have been made in the field of dental aesthetics, but dental implants are by far the most realistic restoration available. Their posts are completely hidden under the gum line and the only visible portion - the crown - is made from high-quality porcelain that is shaped, painted, and polished to look exactly like a natural tooth.
If you'd like to learn more about the benefits of dental implants, contact the dental office of Dr. Poss in Eau Claire, WI, and ask to set up a consultation appointment.
One of the procedures we like to do best at Christopher Poss, D.D.S. is dental implants. Dr. Poss has been restoring dental implants for over 15 years and completed many dental implant courses over this period. It is rewarding to be able to replace a missing tooth with a dental implant giving the patient their missing teeth back.
Dental implants replace missing teeth and can also be used to anchor a fixed bridge or a removable denture. Denture patients especially appreciate what dental implants can do for their loose and ill fitting dentures. Dental implants do a great job in holding the previously loose denture secure.
If you are interested in knowing more about dental implants with your particular case, please call Christopher Poss, D.D.S. at 715-833-2223 for an appointment. At this time, we are offering a comprehensive exam and complete x-rays for $39. This a great way to get aquainted with our office.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.